When we experience pain, messages are sent along the nerves to the brain and then pain is felt. The TENS machine produces tiny electrical impulses which are sent through the skin to the nerves. This electrical stimulation of the nerves blocks those pain messages from reaching the brain. It has been in use for more then 20 years helping people manage acute and/or chronic pain.
Why Use TENS?
- Mom's brain registers the tingling sensation produced by the TENS machine, rather than the pain associated with contractions. This makes contractions seem shorter.
- TENS increases your body’s production of endorphins – these are your body’s natural painkillers.
- It is a natural distraction! Mom has complete control over the TENS unit at all times.
- TENS is safe for you and your baby
- It will not alter the natural course of your birth
- TENS is a non-invasive form of pain relief
- There are no lasting side effects
- All other forms of pain relief, medical or not, are still available to mom to try if necessary
- TENS can be used very early in labor, while you are at home
- May help to shorten the first stage of labor, by aiding in mom's ability to relax
- Mom can remain mobile while using the TENS unit
- Is compatible with all medical monitoring equipment
- It's extremely easy to use